Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Unreal

I apologize for this horribly impressionistic vignette...

I have been reservedly optimistic about the promises of Barack Obama, but tonight, I was truly inspired. I was at the Obama rally in Grant Park, where roughly 500,000 people converged to celebrate a new era of American leadership. It was an incredible expression of hope, common humanity, and inspiration. People were climbing trees, crying, dancing, and chanting; for the first time in my life I saw civil society in action. Regardless of how I think the next four years may shake out, I am incredibly grateful for the way Obama has captured the imagination and soul of the American people; we have something to believe in again. I am incredibly excited to see what Obama can do as President and for now, I am once again proud to call myself an American at home and abroad.

No comments: